Saturday, February 11, 2017

Scribe's Chest Project


will admit that for a monk who's taken a vow of poverty, I really like to find stuff for my persona  to have. Maybe he found it on his travels or uses it as part of his monastic work, The story behind the 'artifact' is half the fun for an archaeology-nut like myself.

So, when I spot a cool-looking chest on a TV series or movie, my brain starts to wonder, "could my monk have that?" As a traveling scribe and herbalist / apothecary, there's plenty of 'stuff' for him to keep track of. So a small wooden chest like this could be handy - especially since I carry a plastic tool box to carry my scribal gear currently and I've been looking for a more period version.



box-07.pngAs seen in the TV series, “The Pillars of the Earth”,  This pointed-chest with double-opening lid and inside drawer A pair of hinges for the upper lid with a hasp for a lock onto the lower one. Handles on both outside panels and “something” on the inside lid. The chest was later identified through the Midrealm Arts and Sciences group on Facebook as a Gable-Roof Chest.

I have yet to build this but I consider it one of my ongoing projects. Follow my progress through THIS LINK here.

No comments:

Post a Comment